Notice of Series is posted on classicyachts.org
In 2021, 196 boats participated in the 10 regattas that made up the Classic Yacht Challenge Series culminating in 19 possible races for the sailors among the three racing districts (Maine, Massachusetts, and RI/CT.NY). For a boat to qualify for the overall trophies in one of the Classic Yacht Racing divisions (Vintage, Classic, Modern Classic, and Spirit of Tradition), they had to sail in a minimum of 5 races in 2 districts. 15 boats qualified for the CYCS, resulting in awards handed out last November.
New in 2021 were District Awards to honor those local teams to earn some silver and traveling teams to have a “homeport win.” To qualify, a classic must sail in 3 races in 2 events in their declared division on the CRF Certificate. This doubled the number of qualifiers to 30 with most of those boats from Maine. Unfortunately due to Hurricane Henri, the cancellation of the Nantucket and Opera House Cup eliminated that district from having enough races to have awards. So we look forward to having more qualifiers this summer!
Now in 2022, individual regatta organizers are eager to welcome more boats by creating more opportunities for more races and hoping even more teams will travel for events now that the pandemic is dissipating. 13 regattas are planned for a possible of 26 races overall from Maine to New York for 2022.
For the official rules, please read the Notice of Series for 2022 on classicyachts.org. There are not many changes from 2021 except for clarity when it comes to ties, district trophies, and divisions. A new Contemporary Division was added to welcome more boats.
To participate, teams need to be a member of the CYOA, state their intention to participate, declare a home district when applying for their CRF Certificate, and then compete in any of the regattas below.
Stay tuned for our March newsletter when we sit down with Technical Committee chairman, Jim Taylor, or what is new with the Classic Rating Formula.
Classic Yacht Challenge Series Regattas: (Event Name, Location – Date, (Racing District))
- New York Yacht Club Annual Regatta (Tiedemann Trophy), Newport RI – June 11-12 (RI, CT, NY)
- Boothbay Harbor YC Regatta and Shipyard Cup Classics Challenge, Boothbay Harbor ME – July 23-24 (Maine)
- Camden Classics Cup, Camden ME – July 29 – 30 (Maine)
- Castine Classic Yacht Race, Castine ME – August 4 (Maine)
- Camden-Brooklin Wooden Boat Race, Camden ME – August 5 (Maine)
- Eggemoggin Reach Regatta, Brooklin ME – August 6 (Maine)
- Corinthian Classic Yacht Regatta, Marblehead MA – August 13-14 (Massachusetts)
- Nantucket Regatta, Nantucket MA – August 19-20 (Massachusetts)
- Opera House Cup, Nantucket MA – August 21 (Massachusetts)
- Herreshoff Classic Yacht Regatta, Bristol RI – August 27 (RI, CT, NY)
- Newport Classic Yacht Regatta presented by IYRS, Newport RI – September 3-4 (RI, CT, NY)
- Indian Harbor Classic Yacht Regatta, Greenwich CT – September 10 (RI, CT, NY)
- Heritage Cup, Sea Cliff NY – September 17 (RI, CT, NY)
Visit https://www.classicyachts.org/cycs-2022/ for links to the above events, to see who is attending, and read the Notice of Series.
Members: If you are participating in these events and want to let us all know, update your profile.