Our goals are rooted in a shared passion: the stewardship and enjoyment of classic yachts. We believe we have an opportunity to bring owners together to foster a sense of community – a community that can bring a positive and cohesive voice to the issues, challenges, and opportunities that arise from time to time and need to be addressed. While this organization’s members are owners of classic yachts, our partners and collaborators include event organizers, restoration shops, boatbuilders, sailmakers, marine industry service providers, sailors and sponsors – all critical members of the classic yachting community.
Membership Levels & Benefits
An individual membership in CYOA is open to owners of classic yachts and costs $100/year. Associate memberships ($50) are available for non-owners who’d like to show their support for CYOA and receive member communications like the e-newsletter.
We also offer an Industry Partner membership for $200/year which gives the talented folks who make it possible for us to sail and race our yachts an opportunity to show support for the community.
Click here for more information on the benefits of a CYOA membership or submit your application online today.
If you’re already a member and you’d like to renew, click here.
Why Join CYOA?
We’re working hard to create a compelling value proposition that we can offer to our membership. You can find a comprehensive and growing list of benefits by clicking here, but here are a few highlights from our first three years:
- In 2016, the CYOA Technical Committee undertook a 10-month analysis and revision of the original version of the classic yacht rating formula (CRF) which resulted in the development of a more transparent and data-driven version of the rule called CRF MkII. CRF MkII was adopted for use by every classic yacht regatta in New England in 2017, and the process of procuring a rating certificate has been streamlined and automated. Because the rule will be continually analyzed and improved, each yacht must get a new certificate each year.
- CYOA is working with companies to offer discounted products and services to CYOA members. The first of these is an insurance program offered by Gowrie Group and Pure Insurance which is tailored to the unique needs of classic yacht owners. This program will be available to CYOA members beginning in March 2019.
- At the 2017 and 2018 Opera House Cup, CYOA members were eligible to win the new CYOA “Best in Fleet” Award. The 2017 award was presented to long-time campaigner Scott Frantz and his spectacular L. Francis Herreshoff-designed TICONDEROGA while the 2018 award was presented to the men and women of the Nantucket Coast Guard Station for their rescue of a fellow classic yacht owner in distress during a delivery sail to the island.
- CYOA is working to organize receptions for members and their guests which provide an opportunity to compare notes, tell stories and generally get to know each other better off the water. We believe these events, in addition to being a fun and relaxing way to spend a couple of hours, can also promote better relationships on the water as well.
- CYOA is partnering with the Herreshoff Marine Museum to produce the 2020 edition of the Classic Yacht Symposium, a two-day conference built upon the sharing of ideas, techniques and cool projects of interest to the classic yacht community at large.